Get to know your School Counselor!
My name is Mrs. Brennan and I am your School Counselor. I am here for social-emotional and academic counseling and support for our elementary and middle school students. I am also available as a resource for all students, parents, and staff members.
The counseling program's goal is to ensure that all students develop the knowledge, attitudes, and skills that will lead to behaviors that support academic achievement and social-emotional well-being. This is achieved through the counseling program's services such as:
- Classroom guidance presentations including the Second Step social-emotional learning curriculum
- Small group counseling
- Individual counseling
- Conflict mediation
- Homework Club
Discussions with the counselor and student are confidential, unless a student tells me someone is harming them, or they are harming themselves or someone else.
Please feel free to contact me if you have any questions or concerns, (949) 234-5315.
Classroom Guidance Lessons
Second Step Social-Emotional Learning Curriculum
The Second Step program is a social-emotional learning curriculum delivered via classroom guidance lessons by the counselor to all students. Second Step is designed to promote skills and attitudes that increase students' success in school, help them get along with others, and create a positive school climate in order to prevent school violence and bullying.
What is social-emotional learning?
- Recognizing emotions in oneself and others
- Managing strong emotions
- Having empathy for others
- Controlling impulses
- Communicating clearly and assertively
- Maintaining cooperative relationships
- Making responsible decisions
- Solving problems effectively
Second Step lessons for elementary grades include:
- Listening & Focusing Attention
- Respect, Empathy, & Compassion
- Identifying Feelings
- Emotion Management & Calming Down
- Problem solving
Second Step lessons for 6th-8th grade include:
- Emotion Management: Emotions, Brain, and Body
- Bullying Prevention
- Calming Down Strategies
- Coping with Stress
- Problem Solving: Using the Action Steps